I wrote a song about 12 or 13 years ago during a crisis of faith. I now know that remaining inside a system of faith requires a suspension of reason--something I'm not cut out for. As hard as it was to get out, getting back in is impossible...
Can't Remember
The clock is ticking on that old gray wall.
I watch as one more slips away from me.
Come to think of it, it doesn't mean that much at all.
Time, it seems, is all that's left for me.
And I can't remember anything
of the life I lived before the thing
that took you away and left me empty here
whispered sweetly in my ear.
I watch as people go about their lives
chasing dreams I used to chase with them.
What's important isn't how or why,
only that I can't be part of them.
And my soul is free but longs to be,
like my body, tied up senselessly
in a world that tells me constantly
what I can and cannot be.
And I can't remember anything
of the life I lived before the thing
that took you away and left me empty here
whispered sweetly in my ear.
No comments:
Post a Comment